Sunday, November 18, 2012

Reflections on ES2007S Module


Pampered is the life we live in school

But when we step out, it ain’t as cool

Learning as we sit on a stool

We need to make employers drool

 

Active listening, non-verbal cues

Application letters and interviews

Ditch the black, try wearing blue

These are just the few

I have accomplished my aim; that is to learn about how I can send brilliant application letters and ace interviews. But, I have gotten more than I asked for. This course offers tips and techniques that beautify your words were courtesy and manner, equipping you with all that you need to maintain great relationships with your colleagues, bosses or employees. The course was well designed to tailor you to fit into the working world, so don’t rush to take this module in your first semester or even first year. Take it in your second last semester so that these survival tips remain fresh in you.

I was terribly afraid to take this course because the module review on modulereview.com mentioned the extremely heavy workload. It was NOT anything like that; the course is easy going except for the last few weeks when all your modules demand your attention like wailing babies. Nonetheless, if you follow the time plan set for the submission of your work, you would have sufficient time to do an excellent job. I spent lots of money cabbing to school because I was late, and reluctant to miss class. An advice for you: you will look forward to this class, so choose your timing wisely; or risk your allowance.

Dr Radhika is such a joy to work with. She has a motherly aura, and encourages each of us to speak and share our views without ever putting us down. Her comments are helpful, and insightful. She seems to enjoy listening to our views and discussing them, making us (especially me) feel important. I am glad I did this module with you Ma’am, and I will miss your lessons.

Of course there are some downsides to this module – it does not teach you everything. It gives you an overview of workplace communication including non-verbal cues, the art of persuasion, writing good emails, writing good application letters and acing interviews. Most of them are in the form of tips and advices. While these are very useful, I felt that a little more hands on would be great. Perhaps an interview assessment; or two application letter assessments – in one, we choose a job of our liking, and in the other, we choose a job outside our field so as to test how far we can stretch our resume. The most major downside, you will miss your friends and mentor.

Having said that, I want to thank each and every ES2007S classmate, and special thanks goes to Eyo, Joey, Valarie, Shiying, Dinesh and Uthpala who were my group mates.  I would also like to express my sincere appreciation to Dr Radhika for being my mentor. Vin, if you happen to read this, I am glad we made the switch of classes.

Shameem Khan
 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that poem is awesome. Haha.

    I think it is a good think that this module only gives overview to communication skills. It teaches us how to read a map, rather than how to reach our particular destination.

    This way, we can adapt the learning skills to different situations in the workplace and social lives. It will be a continuous learning experience as well. And I believe the tutors and career centre is providing personal consultation for interviews and application letter writing, so we can always learn more with them after this class.



    ReplyDelete